The history of the Modiano Market, the Central Food Market, which is almost a century old and one of Thessaloniki’s most important monuments and sights.

How it all began…

Engineer Eli Modiano, with architect J. Oliphant, set out to build the Market in an area of the city that the 1917 fire had destroyed entirely. The Market was built where the Talmud Torah Synagogue had previously stood and where architect-archaeologist Ernest Hébrard’s plan called for the development of bazaars. The French title of the market in the plans was “Bazar Central Salonique.”
In 1925 Eli Modiano constructed an elongated, single-story building with a basement and internal balconies, with a total area of about 2,707 m².

The inauguration of the Market took place in 1930 with a great celebration.
The Modiano Market, the first traditional food market and one of the largest covered markets in Thessaloniki, was closely linked to the history of the Jewish Community. From the very beginning, it played an important role in the life and operation of Thessaloniki’s commercial center, as it housed the best products and was considered an important commercial point.

In 1983, the Modiano Market was designated as a listed building by the Ministry of Environment and Public Works, and in 1995 as a listed monument by the Ministry of Culture, as a typical example of a Market building with an arcade.
Over the next few years, the Market’s image slowly begins to change as most of its 144 shops are gradually closed. Although the image of the Market retains the memories of its earlier days, it is far from its original glory, with its final closure coming in 2016.

In July 2017, the Modiano Market officially passed into the hands of the Fais Group of Companies, with the signing of the contract by the Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund.
Thus, we reach 2021 and the present of Modiano Market, which is on the verge of major remodeling, but also the future of a new generation Food Market concept!